Friday, April 10, 2009

Luke 22: 1-71

Today I want us to focus on Peter and his actions in this passage. As is so often the case when I look at Peter and what he does I see myself in him. In this account he is so confident that he would never abandon Jesus, that his faith would never fail. So much so that he declares, “Lord, I am ready to go with you to prison and to death” (v.31-33). But, Jesus knows otherwise. Jesus informs Peter that before the rooster crows he will deny him three times….and he does.

I am grateful that Scripture informs us of folk like Peter who enable us to put ourselves in the story, because they are so easy to relate to. In this occasion I see myself in Peter in that there have been times when I thought it impossible of me ever doing something and then I do it. Thankfully as we learn later on in the story Jesus indeed forgives Peter through his grace. Friends, we will at times make mistakes that surprise us, but God’s grace is there to forgive and to empower us to not make the same mistake again. If we were sinless and perfect then the events of this “Good Friday” would have been unnecessary. So as you come to the cross tonight join with Peter in telling Jesus how grateful you are!

God’s Peace,
Pastor Brad

No comments: