Thursday, April 2, 2009

Thursday, 4/2

Luke 17:1-2
Jesus said to his disciples: "Things that cause people to sin are bound to come, but woe to that person through whom they come. It would be better for him to be thrown into the sea with a millstone tied around his neck than for him to cause one of these little ones to sin. So watch yourselves.

It's tough to realize as a Christian that on the one hand w'ell never be perfect, and on the other hand, people are watching us, expecting us to behave in a way that reflects what we say we believe.

I can think of times when someone I thought pretty highly of did something that caused me to drop that esteem a notch. In fact not too long ago during a trip out of town, I was put into a position of potential temptation. A group was heading out for the evening, and the invitation was made (by a professing Christian) to go along...to a "watering hole", where I would be encouraged to dance on the bar. (Okay, you can stop laughing now.)

I demurred politely, and was further encouraged by the 'what happens in this place stays in this place' logic. Perhaps that invitation to sin was bound to come; I'm glad I said no. But does Jesus mean that woe will come to the person who encouraged me?

Now turn that lens around. There have certainly been times when I've behaved in a way that belied my Christian faith. A rude response...a selfish desire...a disobedience...a deliberate lie. What message do I send when I cut somebody off on Independence Boulevard, and then they see the 'clergy' sticker on my back window? When Jesus says, 'watch yourselves,' I realize that others are watching also.

I don't want to let Jesus down. I don't want to be the one who causes another to sin against God. I'm going to watch a little more closely. I want nothing more than for people to see Jesus through my life. Tall order? Not with Him!

peace,
Pastor Judi

No comments: