Friday, January 9, 2009

Friday Proverbs 3:1-6

What does it mean to trust God rather than your own insight? Does it mean that you have to believe in "unbelievable" things or in things that make no sense? I have always found that whenever I am confronted with a seeming contradiction between what God says and what my brain says, usually I haven't tried hard enough to reconcile the two points of view. For example, when I was younger, I often thought that the teachings of faith were restrictive and didn't make any sense. I mean, why can't I do as I please as long as I'm not hurting anyone else? What I discovered was that my actions could cause pain and hurt that I may never have seen. In my youthful innocence and exuberance, I now realize that all of my actions had consequences, even if they weren't always readily visible or understandable to me. That's why I am learning to trust God more and my own thought processes less. God really does know best.

What are you thinking about this passage? Does it make any sense to you, or does it seem like philosophical rambling? Write me at paul@matthewsumc.org and engage me.

Until tomorrow, I am always your pastor and fellow blogger,
Paul

No comments: