Saturday, January 10, 2009

When I was growing up, I heard a lot about the "fear of the Lord." I even thought that the proper relationship for me to have with God was based on fear--I was afraid that everything I did could make God angry and bring punishment. After a while, I realized that it was a waste of time to try to please God, because if I was always afraid, why bother trying? I mean , I would probably never get ahead in the good vs. bad race, so what was the use in trying?

It was a real eye-opener when I learned that the "fear of the Lord" really meant to be in awe and wonder whenever I stood before God in prayer. God didn't want me to be afraid, He wanted me to come before him in an attitude of love and respect. Today, I try to balance my understanding of the nature of God somewhere between seeing God as a white-haired grandfather whose lap I crawl into, and the God who is so frightening that I dare not approach Him for fear of displeasing Him. Both of those views seriously distort the reality of God. I think when our understanding of God matures, it is a sign that real wisdom is taking place; wisdom comes as we grow in our understanding of who God is, and who we are in His creation.

Let me know what you think at: paul@matthewsumc.org.

Peace,
Pastor Paul

No comments: