Friday, January 23, 2009

Luke 4:8-13, Week 8 Friday

Once again, I make note in this passage of scripture that Jesus is strong against the devil. He relies on the strength of the Word of God in Old Testament Scripture (compare verse 8 with Deuteronomy 6:13, verse 10 with Psalm 91:11-12 and verse 12 with Deuteronomy 6:16).

But it's that last sentence that stops my breath. "When the devil had finished all this tempting, he left him until AN OPPORTUNE TIME." What do you think an 'opportune time' would be? Maybe a time when Jesus wasn't quite so strong, a moment of weakness?

Well, I can't think of a place in Scripture that tells about a moment of weakness. There were times when he showed emotion, like when His friend Lazarus died, but He was not weak. He prayed in the garden of Gethamane the night before he was crucified, that He might not die in the prescribed way if there was any other way, but He never wavered from His Father's will.

For Jesus, the devil never would find 'an opportune time.' What I'm concerned about is, will the devil find one in my life? A time of weakness to tempt me to something that wouldn't honor God. What would my response be? Will I rely on God's Word? Do I know it well enough to draw upon it when tempted?

A few days after my hand surgery on 1/8, I had a really rough day. I was frustrated at not being able to put my contacts in, use the can opener, take a shower without garbage bags covering my arm, zip my pants by myself, hold a brush to dry my hair or chop vegetables to make soup. I did what anyone would do - invited myself to my own pity-party. Then I picked up a little devotional book (I keep them laying all over the house) and read a couple of paragraphs about Job. God gave the devil permission and power to tempt His servant Job, who remained faithful to God throughout his trials. I landed on Job 10:12 which gave me God's Word to hold on to. Job says to God, "You gave me life and showed me kindness, and in your providence you watched over my Spirit." I wrote the scripture reference right on my cast so I could be reminded all day every day.

The devil didn't get me that time!

There's hope for us all if we will hold on to God's Word like Jesus did. It's powerful.

Peace,
Pastor Judi

1 comment:

Jeff Jones said...

Notes in the NIV Study Bible for 4:13 add that "Satan continued his testing throughout Jesus' ministry (see Mk. 8:33), culminating in the supreme test at Gethsemane."

Perhaps the 'opportune' time was when Jesus was with others (the disciples) who might offer Satan greater success or at least he might have success in tempting them (His followers).

For example, in Mark 8:33 Peter tried to talk Jesus from carrying out his mission of going to the cross. Jesus rebuked Peter (or Satan working through Peter): "Get behind me, Satan."


Swindoll offers this cute story in his book,'The Tale of the Tardy...',:
"In a 'Frank and Ernest' Cartoon the two characters are standing before a priest and Frank asks, 'How come opportunity knocks once, but temptation beats at my door every day?'