Monday, February 9, 2009

Luke 6:1-5 and Exodus 16:28-30

Aaaah, the Sabbath. Seems to me there's a lot of confusion about what that means, what we should and shouldn't do, etc. If I try to interpret the Sabbath from a 21st century point of view, here's what I get:
  • "It's a day of rest; I don't have to work" (Then what about the people who serve me lunch at Jonathan's?)
  • "It's a day of rest; after I go to church I can watch the game, ride my bike, wash my car, whatever" (Where is God in all that...in the hour I sat in church?)
  • "It's a day of rest; I think I'll give myself a break and sleep in today..."
  • "It's a day of rest; (I'll let you fill in this one...)

Frankly, I struggle with the Sabbath. I work on Sunday (most pastors do.) Could my Sabbath be on Tuesday? What should I actually do (or not) on the Sabbath? Does God want an entire day? You see I have a lot of questions.

The Hebrew verb related to Sabbath means "to cease, to stop." The Israelites who received this commandment from the LORD lived lives very different from yours and mine. They worked from sun-up to sun-down, not to buy bigger houses and fancier cars, or to live in the best part of town, but to survive. Theirs may have been a literal command to stop, and to rest in the LORD.

Their lives were different, but in some ways we're still the same. What is our level of willingness to trust in the LORD for His provision? Are we willing to stop for a day and rely completely on the LORD?

You'll note that I'm not answering all of my questions, but I'm inviting yours...and whatever answers YOU'VE come up with about the Sabbath!

Peace,

Pastor Judi

No comments: