Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tuesday, Week 11, Luke 6:6-11

This passage is still about the Sabbath, but today my attention turns to Jesus Himself. His 'amazingness' is so very evident in this story. At the start He's calmly doing something somewhat ordinary - teaching in the synagogue. All around him intrigue is brewing; some people are looking for a way to find fault in Him. He's like the eye of the storm - calm but powerful.

Here's what's amazing to me:
  • Jesus knows what they're thinking
  • He calmly tells the man with the crippled hand to stand up (I'd certainly be riveted on what He's going to do next)...
  • His simple question demands common sense...and those around Him are speechless
  • Then He heals the man's hand.

If I imagine myself watching this scenario, I'm speechless, breathless, stunned, confused and waiting to see what in the world comes next!

How human-like that some of the people are furious. They thought they had the upper hand (no pun intended), and found out they were fools. I wonder which side I would have been on?

I wonder what Jesus is doing today that should be taking my breath away. Jesus knows what I'm thinking; He's at work in my life; He still demands common sense and common decency; He heals.

He's something, isn't He?

peace,

Pastor Judi

No comments: