Monday, December 15, 2008

Sunday, December 14, 2008, Luke 1:39-45

Greetings. I’m blogging this week. You get two for one today. Read on.

What an incredible visit. Mary, after learning that she would bear the Christ child and after hearing that her relative Elizabeth was already six months pregnant, set out to go visit Elizabeth. I wonder what was going through young Mary’s mind as she made her way to the home of Zechariah and Elizabeth. I wonder if she even thought about how she would be greeted.

Often times, we or should say I, yes, I’ll say I. Often times I wonder how people are going to greet me when I go to their homes. I think it depends on the last visit. If I haven’t over stayed my welcome that may depend on how I am received. I rarely do this because I don’t particularly want people to over stay their welcome with me. (I’m just saying…) More than not, my friends seem to be genuinely happy to see me. We talk and catch up on life’s latest happenings in our lives. Most of the time food is involved as well as watching a bit of TV.

Mary and Elizabeth definitely had some catching up to do. Elizabeth greeted Mary with an awesome welcome, ‘Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb.’ (vs. 42) Wow.

Think about a time when you had an overwhelming greeting. What was that like for you? Want to share about it. Write back.

Emmanuel,
Pastor Dawn



Monday, December 15, 2008, Luke 1:39-45

So, now that you’ve thought some about Mary’s visit to Elizabeth, I’ve got a couple more thoughts to share with you.

When Mary was making her journey to see Elizabeth, I thought about her running at times, then walking fast, then running some more. The New Revised Standard Version records that she went with haste. Perhaps Mary was thinking, ‘I have to see Elizabeth, I believe she’s pregnant, but I still have to see her. This is incredible.’ Or, maybe she was thinking, ‘We can talk about our experiences with getting startling news from the angel Gabriel.’ Good think Mary wasn’t a modern day valley girl. Lest the whole time on the journey would have been, ‘Oh my gosh, I wonder how Elizabeth looks. Oh my gosh, she is so old. Oh my gosh, like, I’m pregnant too.’

Okay, okay, stop laughing.

Mary and Elizabeth were both called by God to fulfill a specific purpose. God chose Elizabeth to bear the one that would turn people to Jesus Christ. God chose Mary to bear the one that would be the savior. As I reflect on these powerful purposes of these two people, I continue to reflect on what is my God given purpose and if I am fulfilling it according to God’s will. What about you?

Emmanuel,
Pastor Dawn

No comments: