Sunday, December 28, 2008

Sunday December 28 – Luke 1:57-66

Wait a minute! We’re already past this one aren’t we? After all Christmas has already come. Jesus is born; they’ve already left the stable. Why are we backtracking to the birth of John the Baptist? Maybe in our rush to get to Bethlehem we overlooked a few things.

Today is about another birthing, another promise of God’s fulfilled. Mary’s cousin Elizabeth gives birth to a baby boy. Remember now, Elizabeth is no "spring chicken". In her day to be giving birth at her age was a "class A" miracle.

It was a glorious time for Elizabeth who at last could hold new life in her arms. She caused a stir however when it came to name the baby. Usually (almost always) a family name would be given like the father’s name Zechariah. Elizabeth said no, his name shall be "John". Her’s would not be the final word. Zechariah was brought in to name the child. You’ll remember he was silenced by the angel in chapter 1, verse 20. Now as he returns for a tablet to write on he scribbles "His name is John".

Immediately, says the text, his mouth was opened and he began to speak, praising God.
Thank you Zechariah for teaching me the value of silence. Though it was forced upon him I believe he made good use of it. He could watch with wonder the events unfolding around him. He could spend time in prayer, and talk with God in a time that otherwise might have been consumed by the chatter of the day. It gave him time to think and reflect both precious commodities in my schedule driven world.

I wonder if my spiritual growth would be deeper, richer if I just added times of silence with God.
Oh, there is much more in this text I could write about. It will probably come to mind if I take the time of silence to think and reflect on it.

Prayer – I pray today that I will take the time to be silent before You and with You God. You have some life giving things for me to ponder. Amen.

Blessings,
Pastor Ken

No comments: