Friday, December 12, 2008

Saturday, December 13, 2008 Luke 1:26-38

Did you notice that when Gabriel appeared bringing the word that Elizabeth and Zechariah would finally have the child for whom they had prayed, he chose to give the news to the man? For their lives, this child was an answer to the prayers of a lifetime of yearning. There was no chance that Elizabeth and Zechariah would have said "No" to such an offer.

Have you ever wondered why Gabriel appeared to Mary and not to her fiancee, Joseph? Could it be that Mary could have said "No" to the promise of a child? Was that an option for her? After all, she was a very poor girl, young enough to still be living at home and about to be married to an older man. Even without the promise of bearing the Son of God, bearing any son would have caused major problems for her life, even being stoned to death. I'm not drawing any hard and fast conclusions, I'm just wondering about all of this. What do you think, those of you who are really out there?

It has been a pleasure and a challenge journalling on this blog. As a first-timer, I wasn't really sure what to expect, but it has been fun. How has it worked for you to read and share our thoughts over these past two weeks? Any suggestions for changes or improvements? We'd love to hear from you. Have you invited any of your friends and acquaintances to check out the blog?

Peace and Blessings,
Pastor Paul Craig

1 comment:

Martha Lentz said...

I have enjoyed your comments during the Advent study. The birth of Jesus seems more vivid and real to me now. I have recently started to study the Bible with the classes at the church and together with the sermons I have a better understanding and my faith is growing. With great anticipation I look forward to your sermon tomorrow. By the way, this is my first blog comment ever!

Martha Lentz