Thursday, December 4, 2008

Week 1, Thursday

The first thing I noticed in today's reading was Zechariah's reaction to the angel..."he was startled and was gripped with fear." But by the end of the passage, he has the courage (okay, the nerve!) to ask the angel, "how can I be sure of this?"

How do you go from fear to courage in the space of one paragraph? What did the angel say or do that brought Zechariah so far? What was in him that responded the way he did?

True, the angel said "do not be afraid," but how often does that work? Then the angel gives Zechariah basically unbelievable news...you and your elderly wife will have a baby.

Makes me wonder about my reaction when God sends a message that seems unbelievable, especially when I'm gripped with fear about something. Sadly, I can recall times when I chose to provide my own solution to my fear, not listening to God at all. Those times didn't turn out so well.

So for today I'm going to examine my heart and my mind and see if I'm carrying around any fear. Then I'm going to give that to God and see what He says about it. I think it'll be better if I listen and go with God's plan.

peace,
Pastor Judi

No comments: