Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Week 2, Wednesday Luke 1:29-34

Afraid...everybody in the Christmas story thus far seems to have been afraid: Zechariah was afraid, Elizabeth was afraid, Mary was afraid. Why? Was it the sight of Gabriel that was so awesome and frightening? Or was it the content of his message? I often think it's not any particular person or thing that causes us to be fearful, but simply the overwhelming nature of life itself. Whenever I have been caught up in a series of life-changing events, I have the feeling of being washed over by a huge wave. As I see the wave building and approaching, I am filled with a general anxiety, knowing that I am about to be caught up in a massive, out-of-control situation.

I think each of the characters in Luke's gospel felt that general anxiety that signalled a major upheaval was coming into their lives. What do you do to cope when you see the wave approaching your life?

No comments: