Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Week 1, Wednesday

Yesterday's scripture ended with the people praying outside the temple...and today we have a prayer. I've always been a little uncomfortable TELLING God what I want Him to do..."come quickly to me. Hear my voice when I call to you." When I think about this prayer, I remember that God invites us to pray our true hearts to Him. I remember that He shows up when we pray authentically. I trust that our prayers are not just noise, but are cherished.

If I close my eyes and sort of picture my prayer rising to the Lord like incense, it's a beautiful thing. I'm going to hold this thought for a while, and go offer my prayer, and lift my hands to the Lord.

I hope that taking this scripture slowly, in small bites, is having an impact on how you read this gospel. It's been hard not to rush to the next section, because I love this story... But I've already read with new eyes, and understood with a new part of my heart.

Would love to hear your thoughts as well...

peace,
Pastor Judi

2 comments:

alystremont said...

Calling God to come quickly reminds me that He always does tho in varying guises.

I'm thinking about the Scene between Mitch and Blanche in Streetcar Named Desire.

MITCH: You need somebody. And I need somebody, too. Could it be--you and me, Blanche?

She stares at him vacantly for a moment. Then with a soft cry huddles in his embrace.

BLANCHE: Sometimes--there's God--so quickly!

Pastor Judi Hunt said...

You are right! God is so much more faithful at answering us than we are at answering Him. Something else to think about today...

Pastor Judi