Monday, December 8, 2008

Week 2, Monday Matthew 1:18-23

I am preaching this upcoming weekend on Luke 1:39-45. As I read and re-read that text, I realized it is primarily about women. Specifically, Mary and Elizabeth as they visit together and discuss their pregnancies and their faith, both of which are entertwined. However, this morning, I kept hearing the Angel say to Joseph, "Don't be afraid to take Mary as your wife."

I am so much more aware as I get older how much of my life has been spent making choices motivated by fear and not by other reasons. I wonder if Joseph, since he was older than Mary, was at a similar place in his life. Maybe selecting an older man; one who was less afraid of what others would say about marrying a pregnant woman, was part of God's plan. What do you think?

Pastor Paul

No comments: